News & Press Comments about Gold
An index of pages on our site about press comment and news items about gold.
- If the US economic recovery keeps its present pace, goldbugs and miners can expect bad news
The Telegraph, 14th July 2013
- Gold: How Low Can It Go?
Citywire Money, 28th September 2011
- Counterfeit Gold Coin Guide Being Offered By Aurum Advisors
Aurum Advisors is now adding a counterfeit coin pamphlet with the free gold investors guide.
PR Newswire, 19th August 2011
- Forex focus: is the UK a Safe Haven?
Last week's riots may have damaged sterling's growing reputation as a safe-haven currency.
By Liz Phillips, Daily Telegraph. 17th Aug 2011
- If You Think Gold Is Not Manipulated - Think Again
George Maniere, Seeking Alpha, 17th August 2011
"This article has been removed due to numerous inaccuracies" - Strange, what's happening? Coming soon.
- Think Gold Is Not Manipulated? Think Again!
On Wednesday August 17th the CME came out with an announcement that they would be raising margin rates on the purchase of future contracts on gold. They reported that this was an effort on their part to cool off the price of gold (NYSE:GLD) which has enjoyed a parabolic run since August 1st.
By George Maniere August 12th, 2011, ETF Daily News
- Sterling Proving No Refuge as King Eyes Stimulus While Gilt Yields Plunge
Britain’s allure as a haven is crumbling as global investors desert sterling amid the lowest inflation-adjusted bond yields on record and a faltering economy.
By Lukanyo Mnyanda and Allison Bennett - Aug 15, 2011, Bloomberg. This article includes a forecast of an 8% fall in the value of sterling this year.
- Gold Falls Most in Seven Weeks as Margins Raised, Equities Jump
Aug. 11 (Bloomberg) -- Gold futures fell the most in seven weeks after CME Group Inc. boosted margins on Comex contracts, prompting investor sales after a three-day rally to a record topping $1,800 an ounce and as equities rebounded.
- Gold Vaults Charge More for Storing Bullion
August 9, 2011 10:20 pm, By Jack Farchy in London, F.T.
Banks are charging more to store gold after a surge in demand for precious metals has left London, the centre of the global bullion market, short of vault space.
- Why The Stock Market Tanked
David Ranson, 08.08.11, 04:30 PM EDT, Forbes.
Only gold can issue an unbiased rating of the federal government's creditworthiness.
- Chart of the Day: the Moment the Debt Rocket Took Flight
Governments around the world have added $24.6 trillion (£15 trillion) to their debt bills in a decade, with nearly $10 trillion of that being racked up in the years since the credit crunch. Chris Marshall Aug 04, 2011, Citywire Money.
- Gold to Hit $2,000 Before Year End
Gold at $2,000? I didn’t used to think so – but now I am not so sure. In fact, I’m almost convinced it will happen before the year is out. Garry White, Daily Telegraph, 4th August 2010
- Gold Fooled Everyone Then, and Still Does so Today
Gold is up more than 17% this year, sits at a record high and is in an 11 -year bull run. Business Day 4th August 2011.
- South Korea Buys Gold as Safe Haven, First Time Since 1998
South Korea's central bank has confirmed it has made its first purchase of gold in 13 years. The purchase of 25 tonnes of gold, worth $1.24bn, shows the bank is diversifying its foreign exchange reserves away from the US dollar.
- Monetary Reform: The Beginning Of The Beginning
Charles Kadlec, Forbes Magazine 1st August 2011
- The Writing is on the Wall for the US and the Dollar
By the time you read this, you may know the answer. Supposedly, the financial world is about to be hit by a disaster, namely an imminent US default, or the politicians will avert it with a last-minute deal. Both these views are misplaced.
- Making Change: The Simplest Practical Gold Standard System
Nathan Lewis, 07.28.11 Forbes Magazine, Something that appears complex is actually very easy.
- Could We Solve the Debt Ceiling Crisis With Trillion Dollar Coins?
July 2011 idea for way out of the debt-ceiling impasse, courtesy of well-known Yale constitutional-law professor Jack Balkin, New York Magazine.
- Biggest Audit Firms Hit by Scathing Regulator's Verdict
Audit Inspection Unit's verdict, article in Daily Telegraph 20th July 2011.
- Gold Price Climbs to New Record on Debt Uncertainty
The price of gold has hit a new record price of $1,610 an ounce as debt worries in the US and Europe have intensified. - BBC 19th July 2011
- US Debt Fears are Driving Gold Higher
Like a bunch of unruly children, American politicians are playing chicken with the global economy. Gold is the only protection from their madness. Daily Telegraph Monday 18th July 2011
- U.S. AAA Credit Rating Downgraded By Egan-Jones -- Moody's and S&P May Follow
Monday 18th July 2011 - Egan-Jones Ratings Agency – who called the 2008 financial collapse and lead Moody's and S&P in putting the U.S on Credit watch – Cut U.S Debt Rating From AAA status over the weekend.
- Return of the Gold Standard as World Order Unravels
Gold hits new all-time high of $1,594, as international monetary system creaks. Daily Telegraph 14th July 2011.
Forecast $5,000 gold; $1,000 silver!
- Swiss Consider New Gold Franc Currency
Swiss government is to debate a new gold franc currency and possible coinage.
- 1933 Gold Double Eagles Confiscated by US Government
Government theft or the return of $75million property to its rightful owner?
- Massive Gold Coin Auctioned for 7.7 Million Yuan in Beijing
A 10-kilogram gold coin, the largest ever minted in China, has been auctioned for 7.70 million yuan (about 1.18 million U.S. dollars) at an auction in Beijing. People's Daily 16th May 2011.
- Steve Almond appointed as Chairman of DTTL
DTTL makes a nutty decision that may drive up the price of gold.
- Daily Telegraph Front Page Exchange Rate Error
Telegraph leader article confuses down with up. Does their journalist understand foreign exchange rate information.
- 43 Year Old News - Krugerrand Edge Serration Misinformation Corrected
Chard detects, researches and corrects Rand Refinery errors.
- China Increases Gold Reserves
April 2009, China announced doubling of its gold reserves.
- Quantitative Easing
Inflation, devaluation, effect on gold value. January & April 2009.
- 2008 Gold Prices - It Started with a Bang
Three new record prices on the first trading day of 2008, and more to follow.
- 2007 Gold Prices in Sterling - 33% Gain
With one day still to go.
- Gold Breaches $800 - Friday 2nd November 2007. After the London Close, NY Spot Soars
After all time highs in pounds sterling, gold break upward through important psychological barrier. Headed for $850+?
- Record High Gold Price in Pounds Sterling (GBP) - 29th October 2007
Amazingly we have seen no comment about this from the British media!
- Goldfinger Brown’s £2 Billion Blunder in the Bullion Market
Chancellor ignored advice on sell-off. Holly Watt & Robert Winnett, Sunday Times 15th April 2007
- 3rd March 2007 - Gold Dropped on Stock Market Jitters -Surprise?
It surprised us, but it may have been caused by selling gold to meet share and option margins elsewhere.
- Capital Asset Financial Services Ltd of High Street Chelmsford Essex
BBC Watchdog 31st January 2006
- Capital Gains Tax Implications For Gold Investment
Financial Times question and answer regarding Capital Gains Tax on investment gold
- Newmont Forecasts Gold to Rise Above $1,000 on Asian Demand
We would normally ignore wild price forecasts, but this one comes from a very respectable source, the world's largest gold mining company.
- The Real Price of Gold
According to The Independent. Wednesday 26th October 2005
- Pollution Threat
The miners get rich, but leave behind a legacy laced with cyanide. The Independent. Wednesday 26th October 2005
- Alan Greenspan on Gold
The ex-chairman of the Federal Reserve knows more than most about gold, currencies and exchange rates.
- Record High Gold Price in Pounds Sterling (GBP) - May 2006
Just for the record.
- Lower Gold Price Creates Buying Opportunity for Investors - June 2006
Buy cheap and sell dear!
- Bull Market?
Are we still in a bull market?
- Federal Reserve - Interest Rates, The Dollar, Challenges in 2006
Can the Fed successfully tread the fine line between inflation, deflation, recession, stagnation, stagflation, unemployment?
- Bank of England, Interest Rates, The Pound, Challenges in 2006
- Scarlett Johansson Sexist Thing, Beats Kilo Gold Bar into Fourth
We were slightly disappointed that our gold bar didn't win, perhaps we should have picked a bigger bar?
- Bank of England Risk Warning July 2006
B of E warns banks and financial institutions to review their risks in view of current financial climate.
- Swiss Franc as Safe Haven?
Perhaps. but would the Swiss allow the franc to appreciate in value?
- Gold Options at $1,000 to $2,500!
It was reported that call options were being bought, exercisable at between $1,000 and $2,500.
- Why Gold is a Good Long Term Investment
Article in Money Week 21 July 2006, originally by R. H. Asset Management.
- Doha Trade Talks Failure in Geneva - Protectionism & Danger
- Global Links Will Make Crises Worse - Bank of England
- Gold Falls as Traders Scramble to Assess News of Terror Plot
- The How And Why Of Gold Price Manipulation
- Antitrust Case Legal Case Against eBay & Coin Grading Firms
eBay, the ANA, the PNG, and & Barry Suppler are being sued
in federal court alleging anti-competitive conduct.
- Odyssey Marine, Black Swan, & The Spanish Government
Media Misinformation About Coins
Just a small selection of the erroneous and misleading press comments and news items about coins in general, and gold coins in particular.
1999 News Headlines about Gold
The year gold hit its 25-year low, when the world's press were at their gloomiest and most negative about gold.
1 Kilo Credit Suisse Gold Bar
Bullion Coin Selector Page